CrossFit Open Workout 19.3 Announcement:
For Time (10 minute time cap):
- 200 ft. Dumbbell overhead lunge
- 50 DB box step-ups
- 50 Strict HSPU
- 200 ft. handstand walk
Men: 50 lb dumbbell / 24 inch box
Females: 35 lb dumbbell / 20-in box
For a full breakdown of the 19.3 workout standards, including the scaled and masters modifications, head to games.crossfit.com
CrossFit Games Open Workout 19.3: Tips & Strategy
19.3 - Overhead DB Lunge:
- Make your last step count; take an extra 1/2 second if it means getting your foot over the line completely. Don't be an inch off and need to take an entire extra step.
- There is no "lockout" requirement. The standard is that the DB needs to be above your head, so if someone tries to no-rep you for letting your elbow sag, don't fall for it. Here are the full standards.
- You CAN switch arms if one is getting fatigued. It may be smart to do this rather than to drop the DB to the floor. Just make it a point to switch after each 25 foot section, so that you don't have to keep backtracking behind the marked lines.
- You DO NOT need to switch arms. While this might be a terrible idea to overload one arm, you can favor your stronger side if you need to.
19.3 - Box Step-ups:
- Just move.
- Put it on your back/neck area and try to have ZERO weight on your shoulders (save them for later). This is time is all about shoulder recovery.
19.3 - Strict HSPU:
- Small sets: DO NOT go to fatigue on set #1... you will not "win" by hitting a big unbroken set, but you will lose if you get blown up here. Shoot for small, manageable sets that always leave a few reps "in the tank" unless you are abour to run out of time.
- Use the box. You are allowed to have your fingers outside of the box, only your palms must be inside. Find your favorite position, but I HIGHLY suggest going as wide as possible to make it so that your body moves as little as possible.
19.3 - Handstand Walks:
- If you are fit enough to make it here, congratulations. Be prepared for a shaky first handstand walk attempt.
- Aim to get a few 5 feet sections done at a time, especially right away. Then as you get more comfortable, get into your groove and go for longer unbroken sections. Remember, when you're feeling like falling, all you need to do is get both hands passed the next line for that rep to count. Keep accumulating reps, don't worry about trying to be an unbroken hero.
Looking for more? Check out this article for 19.3 pointers for our Scaled and Masters athletes - as well as some mindset ideas.
If you're looking for more details on the 2019 CrossFit Games season, check out this article.
Want a 19.3-specific warm-up and recovery video? Sign up for our 2019 CrossFit Games Open emails: