The 2018 CrossFit® Open is finally underway! This is an especially exciting and busy time of year for functional fitness athletes. Over the next five weeks, there will be a lot of discussion on strategy and performance. WODprep aims to be that go-to resource for all things Open related, starting with your 18.1 strategy. If you want to “RX” more and improve your scores - we’ve got you covered.
Rookies: If this is your first year participating in the Open, we encourage you to prioritize FUN! So while you read, watch, or listen to our content on how to perform better, learn to fall in love with the process. With any luck, we’ll see you here again next year, itching for validation for all of the training you’ve put in. Don’t sweat the roadblocks. Don’t sweat that you might need to scale. Embrace it.
Vets: For returning Open competitors, participating annually is a great way to see how you’re improving among a larger data set. It’s easy to feel confident when you’re lapping your classmates in an 18 minute AMRAP. It’s also short-sighted to feel down about a classmate finally hitting a body weight snatch before you (even though you started around the same time). Seeing how much you improved over a year among 300,000+ athletes is much more indicative of growth versus comparing yourself daily to the people at your box or Instagram feed.
Without further adieu, let’s get into the real reason you’re here:
Here’s WODprep's 18.1 Strategy Guide!
18.1 CrossFit® Open Workout
20 minute AMRAP
*Dependent on age group
For a complete standards guide, please visit games.crossfit.com/workouts/open/2018/1
CrossFit® 18.1 Strategy Keys:
Most people should try this RX'd, even if you struggle with TTB (tips for getting your first rep are in the video).
Below is our official, full-length strategy video, be sure to check it out to maximize your workout:
Breathing & Pacing
Mindset for 18.1 - CrossFit® Open
CrossFit® Open 18.1 Movement Tips
Toes To Bar
(We talk about these tips and more in our 8-week coaching program, Toes To Bar Transformed. Check it out if you're ready to finally unlock TTB - it’s helped a ton of athletes change their TTB game.)
Dumbbell Hang Clean & Jerk
Hand Protection/ Grip
- You can wear gymnastic grips OR double tape the bar, but not both! We suggesting taping the bar, as gymnastic grips will cause fatigue when holding the DB.
- If you’re using gymnastic grips, wrist wraps might be overkill.
- If you’ve never used them, you won’t need them now.
- If you are used to them, stick to your comfort zone.
Before You Leave...
Thanks for reading our CrossFit® Open 18.1 Strategy Guide. We look forward to seeing you again next week. Before you go, we ask that you do three things:
- Leave a comment after hitting 18.1 - What were your takeaways? What was easy, hard? If you did it again, how would you do it differently? We encourage you to be specific and long-winded 😉
- Please share our CrossFit Open 18.1 Strategy Guide with a friend (sharing is caring). If you aren’t signed up for our Open emails (which contain bonus tips like a specific warm-up video) - you should do that here.
- To aid with your recovery and support the WODprep team, grab yourself a WODprep Massage Ball Set. (They are 18% off during the Open Season only!)
Disclaimer: WODprep is not affiliated with CrossFit® We are an independent group of functional fitness athletes trying to help other people like us perform better in their WODs and everyday lives.