The 2023 CrossFit Open might be over but quarterfinals are just around the corner. There’s no time for rest here.
If you’ve made it - congratulations! That’s huge! This is the time to celebrate before getting your head down and focused on what challenges lie ahead of you.
In this article, I’ll break down everything you need to know for the 2023 CrossFit Quarterfinals so that you can be as prepared as possible.
Don’t leave anything to chance.
What are the 2023 CrossFit Quarterfinals?
The second round of competition on the road to the 2023 CrossFit Games is the Quarterfinals.
This stage will be a different experience than the Open. The competition will be harder, the workouts will be tougher and the goal is to really narrow down the field to find the best of the best.
- Weights will be heavier
- Movements will be more advanced
- Time caps will be tighter
- The depth of video review will be greater
- The tests will be harder
In short. It’s a lot more than the Open. You have to be ready.
Who qualifies for CrossFit quarterfinals?
After the Open, the top 10% of the world's athletes advance to the online Quarterfinals. You can check on the CrossFit Open app to see what percentile you are. You’re looking to be in the 90th+ range.
How much does the 2023 CrossFit Quarterfinals Cost?
The registration fee is $50 USD.
You will receive your registration invite via email.
What are the dates for the 2023 CrossFit Quarterfinals?
- Individual Quarterfinal: March 16 - 19 (online)
- Team Quarterfinal: March 29 - 31 (online)
- Age-Group Quarterfinal: March 31 - (online)
How do the 2023 CrossFit Quarterfinals Work?
Let’s use the individuals competition as an example:
Competition will run from March 16 through March 19. There are three score-submission windows that are 24 hours each. During each score-submission window, athletes must submit specific scores along with corresponding videos.
- March 13: Registration opens
- March 13: Floor plans released
- March 16 at 12 p.m. PT: All workouts are released
24-Hour Competition Windows:
- Thursday, March 16, at 12 p.m. PT until Friday, March 17, at 12 p.m. PT.
- Friday, March 17, at 12 p.m. PT until Saturday, March 18, at 12 p.m. PT.
- Saturday, March 18, at 12 p.m. PT until Sunday, March 19, at 12 p.m. PT.
What divisions are in the CrossFit Open 2023?
According to CrossFit, Inc, there are 37 total divisions for the Open in 2023 (36 for individuals and one for teams). They are as follows:
- Individual men (ages 18-34)
- Individual women (ages 18-34)
- Age Groups:
- 14-15 men, 14-15 women
- 16-17 men, 16-17 women
- 35-39 men, 35-39 women
- 40-44 men, 40-44 women
- 45-49 men, 45-49 women
- 50-54 men, 50-54 women
- 55-59 men, 55-59 women
- 60-64 men, 60-64 women
- 65+ men, 65+ women
- Men, upper extremity; women, upper extremity
- Men, lower extremity; women, lower extremity
- Men, multi-extremity; women, multi-extremity
- Men, vision; women, vision
- Men, short stature; women, short stature
- Men, seated with hip function; women, seated with hip function
- Men, seated without hip function; women, seated without hip function
- Men, intellectual; women, intellectual
Adaptive athletes must meet certain eligibility requirements to qualify for their expected division. You can read more about the eligibility criteria and get more details on CrossFit adaptive divisions here.
What happens after the 2023 CrossFit Quarterfinals?
The top athletes in their respective divisions of Individual, Team, Adaptive, and Age Group from the Quarterfinals will qualify for the Semifinals.
The top 30 in each age group from Quarterfinals advance to the online Semifinals. The top individual athletes and teams will advance to one of seven in-person Semifinals around the world.
If you’ve qualified for the 2023 CrossFit qualifiers, once again, congratulations! It’s honestly mega. You are officially in the top % of the CrossFit community.
There’s not long to go before the next round kicks off. Make sure you take this time to reflect on what went well in the Open, what didn’t go to plan and what changes you’re going to make next time to improve your score.
If you're looking for programming, support and advice in the lead up to and throughout the competition to maximize your score, join WODprep Compete and I'll see you inside!